This herbaceous plant, taste and smell spicy, exotic and highly aromatic, has been used for culinary and medicinal purposes for thousands of years. The herb, up to 1m tall cultivated lands hot. The part of ginger which is useful for such purposes is the root (rhizome), a tuber and a thick rounded graceful forms that can suggest to the imagination; out these rhizomes, fleshy and thick, are ashen color, and between white and yellow inside. The plant has elongated leaves like corn, which only germinate when its sheath surrounding the stem. Showy flowers are arranged in conical spikes and supported by slated scales. Its fruit is dry.
Eat ginger and peeled and used without cork. The consumption of this root can be either dried, powdered, fresh, preserved, in tablet, syrup, and so on. In the kitchen is a very useful, giving a special seasoning to soups, salads, purees, stews, fish, steamed vegetables, drinks, sweets, desserts, etc.. In the kitchen is a very Eastern used. Its use is quite extensive and it is recommended to try to prepare food for a taste of the flavor we want.
Chemical composition of Ginger: essential oil (0.5 to 3%) containing derivatives terpenic; ream (5 to 8%), bitter principles ketonic and phenolic (zingerona, gingerol, shogaol) and other substances.
Properties and therapeutic uses:
• Very good appetizer
• Excellent tonic stomach stimulates gastric juices.
• It is anti-very useful in cases of rheumatism, alleviates the pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, and patients with muscular disorders.
• Relieves muscular pains and rheumatism.
• Antimareo: in century V was used for dressing the food of the sailors to avoid the "sea sickness or motion sickness and scurvy. Ginger enzymes catalyze very rapid protein digestion in the stomach, thus leaving little time to feel nauseous. Yes you're traveling by plane or by car, take a bit of ginger. He has very good effect on children.
• It is anti-ulcer: relieves symptoms of inflammation, also protects the creation of digestive ulcers. Have identified approximately 6 components contained in anti ulcerates ginger.
• Antioxidant: helps to rejuvenate and fight free radicals that cause the deterioration of tissues. Ginger contains powerful antioxidant properties.
• Circulatory system: It is beneficial to combat diseases of the coronary arteries, without affecting the lipid and blood sugar.
• Help to relieve cough and flu.
• Used for the treatment of dyspepsia, or indigestion empacho.
• Helps combat swelling of the abdomen by gas.
• Fighting flatulence and nausea.
• You have aphrodisiac properties, excellent stimulating, providing mind, vitality and longevity.
• Helps fight infections.
• It prevents heart attacks.
• Prevent skin cancer.
• Ideal in diets for weight loss because it helps to lose extra fat.
• The drink of ginger tea or the fresh root has been used in china and India for centuries as a download to help digestion.
• We do not recommend taking ginger in cases of fever, as it tends to elevate body temperature slightly, so it may aggravate the discomfort.
Recommended doses range from 250 to 1000 milligrams daily, depending on the purpose and conditions of the individual.
The rhizomes are collected before the formation of new shoots and old that are more rhizomes, more lost their property. Once collected, it must be washed very well, scratch and make it dry in the sun.
Using Ginger in the Kitchen
It is an ingredient that blends well for dressing rice, vegetables and sour foods, and citrus fruits; sabiéndola will combine well in soups and dressing fish and meats. Oil of ginger can be used for making beverages. Like garlic, it should be caution when using it since it has a penetrating flavor. It is recommended to use it in small doses and go as adding paladeé food. It is available fresh, dried and preserved. If it is cool, do not save it for more than two or three days. To save it, have it in a plastic bag, seal and take care not to grate the time to be consumed. Preserved, we must take into account that stands to lose the strength of its aroma.
We also found that ginger is available in two forms: young ginger (Ginger Young) and ginger mature. Young ginger is very smooth and is less spicy ginger mature, which has formed a skin which preserves the flavor and aroma, sweet and very spicy.
A bit of History
Ginger is of Asian descent, traveled thousands of miles from the east, mounted on the backs of camels to reach other civilizations. China and Indian cultures have used for millennia to relieve digestive problems. The Chinese, Greeks and Romans regarded this plant as yang (hot food), which balances ying foods cold in Finnish culinary concepts are used to create harmony and balance in food. Later, he began using in America and Europe, both in the kitchen as in medicinal applications. In these continents ginger was used to create a very popular drink is known as Ginger Ale or Ginger Tea. This drink is an excellent tonic for stomach problems. In medieval England it was also very much appreciated, was used as well as jam and flavored.
The aroma and flavor of ginger spiced dishes of ancient Rome, which continued using it even after the fall of their empire. In Spain, occupied a special place in the pharmacies of natural medicinal remedies. Currently in India, occupies an important place in medical issues. The new kitchen is rediscovering its taste ginger experimenting in new dishes in Japan is used to marinate and accompany the sushi (rice rolls filled with different dishes) and sashimi in the West, ground ginger is consumed, either in salads or soups, or to flavor bread.
Here is a delicious recipe ...
Cabbage and potato soup with ginger
• 1 onion
• 2 C. of Tamari
• 1 liter of vegetable broth
• 2 leaves of cabbage
• Items 2 potatoes, diced
• 1 c. ginger
• 50 g. polenta
• 4 c. miso.
1. Cut the onion in small boxes and put it in a pot on fire with a little oil until transparent.
2. Tamari incorporates still and let it cook a little.
3. Add water or vegetable broth, cabbage cut into thin strips, diced potatoes, grated ginger and let simmer 5 minutes. Squeeze a lemon if you like to add a different time.
4. Add a little rain in the form of polenta, stirring constantly to avoid sticking or forming lumps, until it boils again, 15 minutes.
5. Add the miso previously dissolved Remove from heat and serve.
6. Put some polenta if you want something creamy, but is clear and find the pieces of vegetable. If you like thick, add more polenta, remember that this meal increases four times its volume, then, estimated at least a portion of polenta, five parts of liquid.
7. As for the miso and Tamari substitute sea salt for simply not in their taste or nutritional value, but only if you are interested in preserving the golden yellow polenta. If despite all lumps are formed, with disuélvelos blender.