Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin, soluble in water, which can be found in various foods such as fish, shellfish, eggs, yogurts, cheeses, meats and dairy products. Vitamin B12 helps maintain healthy nervous system and red blood cells, is indispensable for the production of DNA (genetic material of all cells). The human body can store vitamin A for several years, however, the elderly tend to be at risk for deficiencies because they cannot take this vitamin. Pernicious anemia is a consequence of their deficiency.
Vegetarians who eat no meat or animal products must take care that your diet has adequate amounts of this vitamin, which can be found in products of plant origin such as yeast, miso, seaweed, mushrooms, wheat germ and soybean. Whole grains that are fortified with vitamin A are highly recommended.
Here are some recipes high in vitamin B12:
Miso and vegetable soup
- 200 grams of soy meat
- 100 grams of potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 cambric onion
- 6 grams of soybean paste (miso).
- 5 cups water
- Oil for frying
- Cut the solid ingredients, cut the soy meat into cubes about 2 cm, cut the onion and carrot into thin strips, cut the potatoes and onions in large squares, etc.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the meat. After about 5 minutes or so, add the carrot, onion and potatoes. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add water and cambric onion and cook until everything is done (that you can tell by observing).
- Add the soybean paste (miso) to the broth and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, remove from heat and serve immediately.
Salmon with orange
- 4 salmon fillets (1 per person)
- 1 onion
- Pinch of brown sugar
- Orange Juice
- Olive Oil
- The first step is to season the salmon fillets with salt on both sides.
- Then, in a skillet with a little olive oil, brown salmon a bit, round and round. Reserve.
- Then chop the onion and brown in the pan with a little olive oil. When ready, add orange juice, vinegar and brown sugar (in that order) and let it cook for a few minutes. Finally add the fillets and lower the fire. Ideal served with a side dish, such as baked potatoes, or a rich puree.
- 1/2kg of wheat flour (500 grams)
- 1 and ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of bran (50 grams)
- ½ cup of semolina (75 grams)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 50 grams of fat (butter) or vegetable shortening, softened
- ½ cup of oil (125cc.)
- 1 and ½ cup of yogurt (375cc.) or milk
- Place in a bowl, flour, baking powder, bran, semolina, salt and sugar. Gently stir all ingredients until well blended.
- Add soft butter and integrate well. Then add oil and yogurt or milk and go to mix until dough is soft.
- Cut into two pieces and stretch the dough with a rolling pin and some flour until 4 or 5mm thick.
- With a caster, gear 5x5 square cut and arrange on a plate(without Grease or oil).
- Lead to a moderate oven at 190 º C until tender and roasted.
Miso and algae soup
- 20 gr. of dried Chinese shiitake mushrooms and pleorotus ostreatus
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 15 gr. of dried seaweed, Tremella fuciformes
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- Soak mushrooms in warm water, only just to cover the mushrooms for about 15 minutes. Soak seaweed in cold water, also 15 minutes.
- Sauté the leek, thinly sliced, until soft a little. Add ¾ pint of water, soy sauce and mushrooms with their soaking water. Cook over low heat about 7 minutes.
- Add algae, slightly drained and chopped a little, and sugar. Just cooking a couple of minutes.
Soy cake with cream
- 1 cup of soy beans
- 1 cup of soy sprouts
- 3 / 4 kg. of potatoes
- 1 liter of milk
- 100 grs. of heavy cream
- 50 oz. of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200 grs. of mozzarella in slices
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- Soak beans for 4 hours. Boil in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Peel potatoes and slice not to thin. Put in a glass baking dish greased with butter, cover with milk, cream and butter cut into small pieces and season with salt and pepper. Put in moderate oven for 20 minutes. Remove.
- Add up the beans mixed with sprouts. Cover with a layer of mozzarella in slices, sprinkle with oregano and return to oven to brown.